no jetpack

the chronicle of one girl's ill-advised decision to run a really, really long way

5.3.06

Yesterday’s training run was eight miles. It involved my first encounter with hills, which are pure evil, and my first encounter with Gu, which is evil in the form of gelatinous frosting power gel, and my first encounter with “chaffing,” which is worse than hills and Gu and will inevitably get even worse when I go eight miles three times in a row, and then two point six more miles just for garnish.

Oh, and then we were instructed to go home and sit in an icy cold bath for ten minutes.

So I would say the fun has officially begun.

3 Comments:

  • At 6.3.06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chaffing! I experienced that yesterday on my solo 8 mile run, for the first time,too. It was bad at mile 5 and so at mile 6, when I encountered a water fountain I almost splashed water on my thighs to quell the burning but realized that as soon as the relief that would bring was gone, I would be much worse off with 2 miles to go. What's the solution? I don't usually wear shorts (as I did yesterday) but I can't imagine pants are gonna fly for much longer.

    I'm afraid of GU but yesterday's run, I ran on just a PBJ sandwich from about 12 hours before and while I ran 8 miles as fast as I did fueled, it hurt a lot more. Did the GU help? I imagine choking and gagging on the stuff.

    Yes, the let fun begin. :)

     
  • At 6.3.06, Blogger TNTcoach Ken said…

    Someone will introduce your to Bodyglide, a space-aged sport lubricant that prevents one of your encounters. Hey, maybe the Gu could have decreased the chaffing??? I am so enjoying this journey, keep up the great work.

     
  • At 8.3.06, Blogger erinp said…

    Wow- I feel like my entire perception of my best friend must change from sarcastic witty overeducated sluggish intellectual to sarcastic witty overeducated inspirational intellectual runner. So proud of you. Erin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home