no jetpack

the chronicle of one girl's ill-advised decision to run a really, really long way

10.6.06

One week from right now, from RIGHT NOW, I will be running. More accurately by this point I might be jog/limping.

One of my friends who reads my blog keeps his own blog, and one of his friends found her way onto my blog from his blog, and wouldn’t you know? Her mom used to run marathons, and the very first marathon she ran was the Alaska Midnight Sun Run. So yesterday I got an email from my friend’s friend’s mom with a mile-by-mile chronicle of what to expect. This is the kind of magic that has been happening around this whole event.

I will here reprint her description:

Miles 0 - 4 are on a paved bike path running parallel toAlaska's major N/S highway, with a slight incline up to theoverpass, across the overpass to the otherside of thehighway. Don't get caught up in the rush of the first fewmiles. Take it easy and you'll feel much better going the next 13.

Miles 4 - 7 are on a two lane paved service road, mostlyflat. Good cruising opportunity.

Miles 7 - 17 are over the dirt trails of the Chugach Mountain foothills. Rough in places, hilly, and ending on adirt road taking you over to mile 17. Grueling. Watch yourstep.

Miles 17 - 19 are on the sidewalk/bikepath right next toTudor Road, a major E/W arterial 5 lane paved road. Cough,cough, gasp.

Miles 19 - 25 take you through neighborhoods to run along Anchorage's beautiful greenbelt, including Chester Creek inplaces and a paved bike trail that features tunnels underthe N/S roads of central Anchorage. Some small hills hereand there. Another good cruising opportunity, but don't befooled as you circle around Westchester Lagoon. Notice thebluff straight ahead.


Miles 25 - 26 include a steep climb up the bluff (Oh No!),a weary jog along neighborhood streets, and finally a laparound West High School's track (arghhh!) to the finishline.

Let us take a moment to note a few key words and phrases: Foothills. Rough. Grueling. Cough, cough, gasp. Bluff.

Bluff?

3 Comments:

  • At 10.6.06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I told my mom to keep it upbeat. She says the worst part is that once up the bluff you have to run once around the track a West High School. You'd think after 30 years, they could find an extra 400 meters on trail somewhere, right? Good luck. Westchester Lagoon should be pretty and you really can't beat the scenery.

     
  • At 10.6.06, Blogger tortaluga said…

    wait, this is the upbeat version?

     
  • At 12.6.06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jen, just wanted to say Good Luck. I would say break a leg, but I think that only works in show biz, and it seems counter-productive in this case. I have been following your blog since I left Eugene (you may have noticed I disappeared) I am in Portland now, pursuing the "career path", while my dreams of marathon masochism have been put on hold. I now live vacariously through your blog!

    So, with my final words of inspiration I leave you with this thought....the best part of running 26 miles is when you cross the line and enter into the 27th mile and the glorious state of a runners high.....best free drug you can get! Well, at least for the price of a few calories and the inability to walk for a week, but really, how is that any different than Burning Man?
    Best of luck to you!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home