no jetpack

the chronicle of one girl's ill-advised decision to run a really, really long way

15.6.06

Greetings from Anchorage!

After a short sweet Seattle waterfront run yesterday I headed to the airport and caught a nonstop flight north at nine p.m. The hours passed and the sky grew disorientingly lighter, until after eleven when my little window was full of bright white dawnlike sky over a snowtopped dark craggy mountainscape.

I landed to find one message on my mobile phone. It was my dad, frantically urging me to check the status of my expiring student health insurance. Quite the vote of confidence.

And here I am in my first Anchorage morning, pleasantly cool and cloudy. My classmate Nikki – who hatched this whole idea with me back in January, but has been living & training in Portland ever since – is due in at one. According to the Anchorage Daily News’s Alaska Weather page, which is found just after the articles “Rascally bears evict Denali campers” and “Bears? Wait till you see Kodiak bumblebees,” predicts a Saturday in the sixties, with intervals of clouds and sunshine. Hoo Rah. Two days to go.

6 Comments:

  • At 15.6.06, Blogger TNTcoach Ken said…

    Yea….., the journey isn’t over yet. We still have 26.2 miles of fun-filled eye-opening experiences ahead. Good luck and don’t mind your dad that’s just how we are. I’ll be checking on you and a few of my Michigan runners/walkers.

     
  • At 15.6.06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw some sliced alaskan deer antler at the Anchorage airport when I passed through a few years ago. Seeing as it is a local specialty (and that you like to try these local cultural experiences), will you be trying this one out? Asians swear by its fortifying powers! :)

     
  • At 15.6.06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Health insurance!? What's all that about!

    Ever thought about moving to Canada?

     
  • At 16.6.06, Blogger Mademoiselle Caroline said…

    Yay Jenn!
    I will be sending you good vibes.
    xoxo

     
  • At 16.6.06, Blogger Kira Marx said…

    You're in Alaska! I would envy you, but you have to run 26 miles. I was wondering - how do you wish luck for the marathon? It can't possibly be "break a leg" like in theater. I can't think of anything, aside from "Glad it's not me." Aerin is going to crawl any day now and I keep telling her that if Aunt Jenn can run a marathon, the least she can do is crawl across the bed.

     
  • At 16.6.06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the bumblebees are big but they just bumble - slowly. check your email. my cousin amber gave you her digits and would happily show you around. She's lived all her life (save for 4 years of college in AZ). She's a really good egg. GOOD LUCK! have FUN!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home